Good people make bad decisions and get caught up in the system. When that happens, it's imperative to seek counsel to fight for you. You deserve to have your story told and receive the best possible representation.
Meet Criminal Defense Attorney Joseph B. Henriksen
I took a non-traditional route to practicing law. As the son of lawyers, I was introduced to criminal law at a young age through my Mother's course materials as she worked as a college professor teaching criminal justice. This experience sparked a life-long fascination with all things criminal law related.
Before joining Sawyer Legal Group, I worked as a linguist in the U.S. Navy and as a Deputy District Attorney for Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln County. After serving both my country and state faithfully, I'm now dedicated to serving you and assisting with your legal needs.
Education and Experience
I graduated with a degree in Administration of Justice from Southern Illinois University. Following my graduation, I enlisted in the United States Navy as a Cryptologic Technician Interpretative (CTI) where I worked as Persian Farsi linguist and achieved the rank of Petty Officer Second Class. While serving in the Navy I maintained a Top Secret security clearance, and received specialized training regarding linguistic and cyber operations.
Towards the end of my enlistment, I found myself yearning to return to criminal law. While still enlisted, I studied for and took the LSAT and was accepted to the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. During my time at law school, I became interested in litigation, reinforced my interest in criminal law, and was active in the law school's student veteran association.
Upon graduating law school, I was hired as a Deputy District Attorney for the 18th Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln County). Throughout my time as a Deputy District Attorney, I worked on thousands of cases, ranging in severity from traffic infractions to first degree murder. Additionally, I was heavily involved in the Problem Solving Court system, where individuals who have specific treatment needs such as mental health, addiction, and PTSD from military service are given appropriate treatment to solve the root problems driving their behavior.
Why I Became a Criminal Defense Lawyer
While working in the Problem Solving Court system, I was intrigued by the ability to provide specialized care to those who were in desperate need of it. Seeing how effective this approach was, I wanted to ensure that other people had the same opportunity for personalized treatment, versus the standard one-size-fits-all approach in the criminal justice system.
Everyone's life is different, with each person having different experiences. These experiences deeply affect people, and shape their lives. You deserve to have your case presented within the context of your life experiences, because that's what's fair. Representing you as the person, not the case number, is my highest priority.
I have an in-depth perspective on the criminal justice system in Colorado; I have worked both as a prosecutor and a criminal defense attorney throughout the state.
- 100% Criminal Defense
- Colorado 2018
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law - Juris Doctor, Denver, CO
- Defense Language Institute - Associate of Arts, Monterey, CA
- Southern Illinois University - Bachelor of Arts, Carbondale, IL
Today, I'm a criminal lawyer practicing all across Colorado's front range. If you've been charged with a criminal case I will fight on your behalf in the courtroom.
How I Will Help You Fight for Your Future
I will ensure your rights are upheld and that you have effective, genuine, and honest representation at all times. Regardless of where my representation leads, you will have a strong, experienced advocate in your corner.
Joe Henriksen's Case Results
- Felony Menacing - Adams County - Dismissed
- Animal Cruelty - Douglas County - Diversion
- Theft - Denver Municipal Court - Deferred Judgement
- Theft - Douglas County - Diversion
- Obstructing a Peace Officer - Arapahoe County - Dismissed
- Criminal Mischief - Adams County - Diversion
- Child Abuse - Douglas County - Dismissed
- 1st Degree Assault - Denver County - Deferred Judgement
- Domestic Violence Assault - Douglas County - Dismissed
- Domestic Violence Assault - Denver Municipal Court - Deferred Judgement
- 2nd Degree Assault - Jefferson County - Dismissed
- Pre-Charge Juvenile Unlawful Sexual Contact - Adams County - No Charges Filed
- Unlawful Sexual Contact - Jefferson County - Deferred Judgement
- Juvenile Sexual Exploitation of a Child - Broomfield County - Deferred Judgement Adjudication
- Animal Cruelty - Broomfield County - Dismissed
- Assault & Battery - Aurora Municipal - Unsupervised Deferred Judgement
- 3rd Degree Assault Domestic Violence - Broomfield County - Diversion
- Aggravated Motor Vehicle Theft - Adams County - Probation Only / No Jail
- Illegal Sports Betting (2 Counts) - Gilpin County - Deferred Judgment
- Domestic Violence Harassment - Broomfield County - Dismissed
- CCW Rights Reinstated - Denver County