Being convicted of a DUI (Driving under the Influence) or a DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) charge in Adams or Douglas County produces many harmful results. Having either of these convictions on your record can lead to job loss, difficulty finding carConsequences of a DUI or DWAI in Arapahoe and Adams County, Colorado insurance, loss of your license, fines, and even jail time. Your insurance rates can also rise. If other people were in the car with you while you were driving drunk, especially children, then Child Abuse charges could be added, causing even more damage to your record. A conviction for drinking and driving is a serious offense, and you need a serious DUI attorney in Denver who is willing to engage in battle for you. You can find one at O'Malley and Sawyer, LLC.
Jefferson County and Arapahoe County DUI Lawyer: Choices When Pulled Over for a DUI / DWAI
Choices When Pulled Over by a Police Officer, Trooper or Sheriff Deputy for a DUI or DWAI:
If an officer in Jefferson County or Arapahoe County notices that you are weaving too much while driving, you will be pulled over for a traffic stop based on reasonable suspicion of DUI / DWAI. Once pulled over for a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired), the cop will ask to see your license, registration, and proof of insurance. Upon observing you, the police will decide whether seeking a test such as a field sobriety test, roadside maneuver or a Portable Breath Test (PBT) is helpful for them. These tests are optional – something most people Field sobriety tests, roadside maneuvers, and the Portable Breath Test (PBT) are all optional – you are NOT required to participate.do not know, so you can and should opt out of them. However, if there was an accident, and the police officer determines that they have probable cause to arrest you, you will be asked to either take a required blood or breath test (done using a breathalyzer) to determine exactly what your blood alcohol concentration level is (learn more about the Breathalyzer and PBT tests). Refusing either Blood Alcohol Test (BAC) is an automatic loss of your driver's license for a year in Jefferson County, Arapahoe County and Elbert County. Normally, you do not want to refuse the test.
DUI or DWAI convictions are serious: You could
lose your driver's license and have a difficult time finding a job.
Douglas County DUI Attorney: An Aggressive Defense is a Good Defense
When you hire the Denver DUI criminal defense attorneys at O'Malley and Sawyer, we pursue an aggressive DUI / DWAI defense on your behalf. We will do everything in our power to protect your driver's license and freedom. Mounting a successful defense for a DUI / DWAI charge involves several key components and we will leave no stone unturned. We will:
- Examine Your Traffic Stop: Were there any witnesses or any cameras close by?
- Interview Witnesses: Talk to witnesses and people who may have information.
- Suppress Evidence: Is there any evidence which needs to be suppressed? Was this a repeat crime?
- Can We Save Your License? Can we save your license at the DMV hearing? Is there another option?
- Test Results: What were the results of any tests you submitted to?
- Hearing Issues: What are the DMV hearing issues in your case? What about other people in the courtroom? Is there an expert witness to hire?
- Treatment: Is there a treatment option available which will soften the DA and Judge at sentencing?
- Highlight Strengths: What are the strengths of your case to highlight for the DA and Judge?