Free Consultations 303-830-0880

Criminal Defense Blog

Accused of Child Abuse for Playing in the Park? The Law in Denver

Posted by Unknown | Aug 13, 2014 | 0 Comments

It used to be a parent could raise their children as they saw fit without governmental involvement. This is no longer the case in Denver, Arapahoe, and Jefferson County. A parent can be accused of Child Abuse for normal parenting choices. Unfortunately, the law is extremely vague when it comes to Dependency and Neglect cases in Colorado. In this blog, we'll look at a recent example of a woman charged for a child endangerment crime, how vague the law is in Colorado.

Dependency and Neglect in Colorado:

The Children's Code in Colorado is vague when it comes to the choices parents are allowed to make about their children. For example, let's take a look at Colorado Revised Statute 19-3-102, which says a person will be charged if:

“A child lacks proper parental care through the actions or omissions of the parent…the child's environment is injurious to his or her welfare…[or] the child has run away from home or is otherwise beyond the control of his or her parent.”

This law states that a child can be taken away from their parents in situations where the government believes the child is dependent or neglected. But, this can be taken too far in Adams, Douglas, and El Paso County.

Accused of Child Abuse?

Get Help Now!

Playing Alone at the Park:

Is this Neglect, Child Abuse or Child Endangerment?

In recent news, a woman was charged for letting her nine-year-old daughter play alone at the park. According to the news, the mother had to work and couldn't find child care for a few hours a week. So, she let her daughter play at a nearby park with a cell phone in case she needed her. This wasn't a remote park. On any given day, there could be 40 kids playing. This happened for two days, and then another mother called the police because the child was “abandoned.” This shows the sad state our world is in. In the past, children played in the park without their parents on a daily basis. I remember doing so myself on many occasions. Today, our government and busy bodies are getting so involved in our daily lives they make normal behavior and parenting choices illegal. Many people state that the girl could have been kidnapped. While this could happen, the courts shouldn't get involved in theoretical “what – if's.”

Accused of Child Abuse? Why You Need a Lawyer

If you have been accused of Child Abuse or child endangerment in Littleton, Centennial, or Highlands Ranch, you need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. Families are damaged when parents are thrown into jail by an overbearing government.This is because District Attorneys and judges are serious when it comes to children and possible crimes; their careers can only be advanced by “protecting children.” What people don't consider is the damage families incur when children are taken away from their parents and placed into foster care. Families are damaged when mothers or fathers are thrown into jail for normal parenting behavior the government has decided is illegal. If you have been accused of Child Abuse, contact a Christian criminal defense lawyer immediately. Here at the O'Malley Law Office, we care about your family and fight to win. We will be your family's advocate in the courtroom.

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one has been accused of Child Abuse, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact an experienced criminal defense attorney at the O'Malley Law Office for a free consultation at 303-830-0880. Together, we will protect your future.Request a Free Consultation

Image Credit: Pixabay – condesign

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in the Denver area, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact the top criminal defense lawyers at Sawyer Legal Group, LLC at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future. Request a Free Consultation