Free Consultations 303-830-0880

Criminal Defense Blog

How Denver Disorderly Conduct Charges Are Filed

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Sep 08, 2015 | 0 Comments

Disorderly Conduct, C.R.S. 18-9-106 charges aren't hard to file in Denver. Usually when people are charged with Disorderly Conduct in Denver or Arapahoe County, it's because they've reacted poorly to something that made them angry or upset. Let's read on about how Disorderly Conduct is charged in Colorado.

Facing charges of Disorderly Conduct?

Get Help Now!

How is Disorderly Conduct Charged in Jefferson County?

While there are many ways Disorderly Conduct can be charged in Jefferson and Douglas County, we'll only look at a few examples.

Just a Bad Day

While driving to work, Allen gets an expensive speeding ticket. Then, while driving he realizes he left an important document for work at home. To add to his frustration, when stopping for coffee the person working the register is rude. Allen has had enough with his morning, and makes an offensive comment to the employee before giving him the middle finger. This starts an argument between them. Allen could face charges of Denver Disorderly Conduct for knowingly “making a coarse and obviously offensive gesture in a public place” that “incited an immediate breach of the peace” (C.R.S. 18-9-106(1)(a)).

The Jealous Girlfriend

Tim and Ally live in Adams County, Colorado. They haven't been getting along that well lately, but they are trying to work things out. However, one night while on a walk together near Tim's house, Tim gets a text message. Ally sees it's from a girl Tim used to date, and becomes angry with him. She starts an argument with him and they begin yelling and screaming at each other. Because Ally and Tim are “making unreasonable noise near a private residence that they have no right to occupy” (C.R.S. 18-9-106(1)(c)), they could face charges of Disorderly Conduct in Adams County.

There are many other ways Disorderly Conduct charges are filed in Jefferson County. Disorderly Conduct can be charged as a class 1 petty offense, a class 2 misdemeanor or a class 3 misdemeanor in Colorado. Convictions of Disorderly Conduct could lead to jail time in the Jefferson or Adams County Jail. You should always consult an expert criminal defense attorney early on if facing criminal charges.

Why You Need the Best Disorderly Conduct Defense Lawyers

In the two situations above, there were heightened emotions, which clouded judgment. The people involved weren't trying to commit a crime. This is a common occurrence across our state as we see men and women “lose it” for a moment after a stressful day.  As criminal defense lawyers, we've seen many cases of Disorderly Conduct charged when people's emotions have gotten the best of them. If you're facing charges of Disorderly Conduct in the Denver metro area, contact one of our expert criminal defense lawyers today.

Get Help Now

A Disorderly Conduct charge in Denver and across Colorado can be serious; it can even affect your housing and employment. If you or a loved one is facing Disorderly Conduct charges, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact the best criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office a Call us today at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.Request a Free Consultation

Was this blog helpful to you? Yes? Well, give it a share!

Image Credit: Pixabay – Tumisu

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Get Help Now

If you or a loved one is facing criminal charges in the Denver area, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact the top criminal defense lawyers at Sawyer Legal Group, LLC at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future. Request a Free Consultation