There are some crimes, such as Sexual Assault and Sexual Assault on a Child by One in a Position of Trust, which require lifetime sex offender registration in Denver and Jefferson County. Our criminal defense lawyers can understand how lifetime sex offender registration makes sense in some of these cases which involve violence or firearms. However, in many cases, it does not make sense, especially in misdemeanor sex crime cases.
Lifetime Sex Offender Registration in Douglas and Adams County: Crimes Requiring Lifetime Registration
If you receive a criminal conviction for one of the following crimes in Douglas or Adams County, you will be required to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life, with no possibility of sex offender deregistration:
- Felony Sexual Assault, C.R.S. 18-3-402
- Sexual Assault on a Child by One in a Position of Trust, C.R.S. 18-3-405.3
- Incest, C.R.S. 18-6-301 and Aggravated Incest, C.R.S. 18-6-302 (even between married, adopted or consenting adults)
- Sexual Assault on a Child, C.R.S. 18-3-405 (including even when someone touches a child on their bottom)
- Sexual Assault on a Client by a Psychotherapist, C.R.S. 18-3-405.5
- Misdemeanor Sexual Assault, C.R.S. 18-3-402
There are also a couple of circumstances where a person will be required to register as a sex offender for the remainder of their lives, regardless of whether the crimes were felonies:
- If they are considered a Sexually Violent Predator
- Any adult who has more than one conviction or adjudication for unlawful sexual behavior (which includes more than one misdemeanor conviction)
Misdemeanor Sex Crimes in Arapahoe County Requiring Lifetime Sex Offender Registration
If you receive two or more misdemeanor sex crime convictions (even for misdemeanor Indecent Exposure) in Arapahoe County, you will be subject to lifetime registration. This can include an adjudication you received when you were a juvenile. This is crazy to us, especially when a person convicted of a misdemeanor sex crime is hardly ever considered a threat to the public.
Get Help Now
Our criminal defense attorneys encourage you to never plead guilty to a total of two sex offenses in Colorado, otherwise you will be subject to lifetime sex offender registration. If you or a loved one is facing sex crime charges and would like to speak to a lawyer, be smart, remain silent and call us at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.Request a Free Consultation
Image Credit: Pixabay – coyot
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment