Free Consultations 303-830-0880

Criminal Defense Blog

Outstanding Judgment Warrant Denver and Douglas County Lawyer | OJW in Colorado

Posted by Unknown | Sep 09, 2016 | 0 Comments

Whenever you have a hold or warrant on your Colorado driver's license, it may be an Outstanding Judgment Warrant (OJW). If you have a hold on your license, or if your license is suspended in Denver, Douglas County, or anywhere else in Colorado, you cannot operate a motor vehicle. Driving a motor vehicle in Colorado with a suspended license can lead to criminal charges. Let's continue reading about an Outstanding Judgment Warrants in Colorado and how to avoid them.

Do you have an OJW?

Get Help Now!

Receiving an Outstanding Judgment Warrant in Adams County

If you receive a traffic ticket in Adams County or anywhere else in Colorado and do not complete sentence requirements as ordered by the court, an Outstanding Judgment Warrant will be placed on your drivers' license. Even if you receive a traffic ticket in another state, like Washington, Iowa or Texas, an OJW can still be placed on your license because of the Driver's License Compact, explained below.

Arapahoe County OJW Lawyer: Driver's License Compact in Colorado and Across U.S.

The Driver's License Compact consists of 46 states. Each of these states will impose  a hold on your license if you fail to obey court orders after receiving a traffic ticket in Colorado or another Driver's License Compact state. The only states that are not part of the Driver's License Compact are Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Georgia. Because it is expensive to extradite people who fail to appear on a traffic ticket, Driver's License Compact states agree that you cannot hold a license in any member state if you have not resolved a traffic offense.  They do this by cooperating when requested by a member state to put an OJW on your license.

OJW Attorney in Jefferson County for Reinstating Your Driver's License

If you have a hold on your driver's license in Jefferson County or any other part of Colorado, you must obtain a clearance letter from the court who issued the Outstanding Judgment Warrant. Additionally, you must pay a reinstatement fee. After receiving your court clearance letter, you must take it to the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). There, your driver's license will be reinstated. If you have more questions about an Outstanding Judgment Warrant and how to reinstate your driver's license in Colorado or another Driver's License Compact state, call the best criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office today. Protect your future and get your driving rights back by working with one of our seasoned attorneys. We can work with in-state and out-of-state traffic and driver's license issues.

Get Help Now

If you have an Outstanding Judgment Warrant (OJW) in Colorado, be smart and exercise your right to remain silent. Then, contact the best criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office for a free consultation at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.Request a Free Consultation

Image Credit: Pixabay – MatanVizel

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment