Sexual assault accusations in Colorado are common and can include an especially wide variety of claims. There are many different types of unlawful sexual behavior in Adams County that can lead to charges, including rape, sexual contact with minors, and inappropriate behavior with patients. When it comes to the issue of consent, the laws in Colorado determine who can and can't consent and at what age. The consequences of pleading guilty or being found guilty of sexual assault in Thornton and Brighton are particularly harsh. Therefore, contacting a skilled sexual assault defense lawyer at the onset of accusations is crucial.
What Qualifies as Sexual Assault in Adams County?
C.R.S. 18-3-402 defines the behaviors of sexual assault in Thornton, Commerce City, and Brighton. A person who performs sexual intrusion or penetration on another commits this sex offense if:
- (a) The actor causes submission of the victim by means of sufficient consequence reasonably calculated to cause submission against the victim's will; or
- (b) The actor knows that the victim is incapable of appraising the nature of the victim's conduct; or
- (c) The actor knows that the victim submits erroneously, believing the actor to be the victim's spouse; or
- (d) At the time of the commission of the act, the victim is less than fifteen years of age and the actor is at least four years older than the victim and is not the spouse of the victim; or
- (e) At the time of the commission of the act, the victim is at least fifteen years of age but less than seventeen years of age and the actor is at least ten years older than the victim and is not the spouse of the victim; or
- (f) The victim is in custody of law or detained in a hospital or other institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary authority over the victim and uses this position of authority to coerce the victim to submit, unless the act is incident to a lawful search; or
- (g) The actor, while purporting to offer a medical service, engages in treatment or examination of a victim for other than a bona fide medical purpose or in a manner substantially inconsistent with reasonable medical practices; or
- (h) The victim is physically helpless and the actor knows the victim is physically helpless and the victim has not consented.
It isn't uncommon for someone accused of sexual assault to be confused by the complexity and depth of this law. Fortunately, an experienced sexual assault defense lawyer from our office can help explain these intricacies, as well as how they apply to your specific case.
Penalties for Sexual Assault in Adams County
The consequences of a sexual assault conviction are particularly severe throughout Colorado. Years in the Colorado Department of Corrections, thousands of dollars in fines, and mandatory sex offender registration can all become a reality. Additionally, sentencing can include demanding evaluations and lengthy treatment under the Sex Offender Management Board, as well as the strict monitoring of sex offender intensive supervised probation.
Adams County Sexual Assault Defense Lawyer
Whether facing sexual assault charges in Thornton, Commerce City, or Westminster, it is imperative that you not speak with police or provide statements of any kind. Instead, contact our office a free initial consultation with Colorado's top sex crimes attorneys. We will carefully analyze your circumstances, as well as suggest next steps in forming a strong defense on your behalf.
If you or someone you know is facing sexual assault charges in Colorado, be smart. Contact the strategic criminal defense lawyers at Sawyer Legal Group, LLC at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.
Photo Credit: Unsplash – Hannah Jacobson
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment