Sexual contact of any kind that occurs between two people without the other person's consent can be charged as Unlawful Sexual Contact. Unwelcome sexual advances can lead to damaging consequences that negatively impact your life for a long period of time. Sex Offender Registration and Sex Offender Treatment are just some of the potential ramifications of conviction of a sex crime in Boulder and throughout Colorado. It is essential to seek council of a top rated unlawful sexual contact lawyer if you're facing charges.
Unlawful Sexual Contact Lawyer | C.R.S. 18-3-404
Unlawful Sexual Contact has a broad-ranging definition that includes a great deal of criteria. C.R.S. 18-3-404 states: “An actor who knowingly subjects a victim to any sexual contact commits unlawful sexual contact if one or more of the following are true:”
- the actor knows the victim does not consent
- the actor knows the victim is incapable of assessing the nature of the victim's conduct
- the victim is physically helpless and the actor knows the victim is physically helpless and has not consented
- the actor has substantially impaired the victim's power to control the victim's conduct by employing, without the victim's consent, any drug, intoxicant, or other means for the purpose of causing submission
- the victim is in custody of law enforcement or detained in a hospital or institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary authority over the victim and uses this position of authority, unless incident to a lawful search, to coerce the victim to submit
- the actor engages in treatment or examination of a victim for other than bona fide medical purposes or in a manner substantially inconsistent with reasonable medical practices
Sentencing for Unlawful Sexual Contact in Boulder, Colorado
Conviction of Unlawful Sexual Contact in Colorado typically results in a class 1 misdemeanor. Because this offense is an “extraordinary risk crime,” a more harsh sentencing range comes into play. Up to 18 months in jail and as much as a $5,000 fine can apply. Due to the conviction of a sex offense, sex offender registration and treatment are also applicable. Both of these consequences negatively impact your daily life. Sex offender registration diminishes your privacy, ruins your reputation, and makes finding / keeping a job difficult. You can also have difficulty renting an apartment or be entirely denied the ability to purchase a home in certain neighborhoods. Sex offender treatment begins as a weekly “reprogramming” of your behavior that can cost you over $300 a month. Meeting with treatment professionals up to 5 times per month, sometimes during business hours, adds another layer of difficulty to sustaining substantial employment.
Why Hire an Unlawful Sexual Contact Lawyer?
Professional representation from a skilled defense attorney is crucial when fighting sex crime charges. Don't talk to the police. They can and will use any statements you provide against you. Instead, exercise your right to remain silent and tell them you want to speak with your attorney first. Don't let false accusations or unsubstantiated claims destroy your good name. Contact an experienced unlawful sexual contact lawyer to help fight for your rights, future, and well-being.
If you or someone you know is facing Unlawful Sexual Contact accusations or charges, act now. Contact the criminal defense attorneys at O'Malley and Sawyer at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.
Photo Credit: Pixabay – Free-Photos